A small island that provides important information (25 HQ Photos)

This is the US Naval Computer and Telecommunication Station (ECHLON) located on Diego Garcia. Diego Garcia is an atoll in the middle of the Indian Ocean, about 1,600 km (1,000 mi) south off India's and Sri Lanka's southern coasts. It is the largest atoll by land area in the Chagos Archipelago. It is part of the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), a British overseas territory.
Since the enforced depopulation of Diego Garcia in the years leading up to 1973, it has been used as a military base by the United Kingdom and the United States. It has one of five ground antennas assisting in the operation of the Global Positioning System, the others being on Ascension Island, Hawaii, Kwajalein and in Colorado Springs.

Source
theBRIGADE wants to show off your pictures from service
Submit your Photos here

Comments:

1. fasterthanu says:

I have 2.

2. HM3(FMF)PatrickBrown says:

Dear Brigade,
    I am currently in the Navy, stationed over seas, and I do very much enjoy your website, and all the cool stuff you guys post, but having detailed pics of our base in Diego Garcia for all the world to see has me a lil bit worried about compromising our national security and the security of the base. I would appreciate it if you would please try to be a little more security conscious about your postings next time. Thank you. Keep up the good work. Hoorah!!

• Lazaro says:

HM3,
      These pictures aren't classified. Any satellite can pick them up and if you don't think that al Qaeda or any other organization can't get them within minutes from their contacts in Iran, China, Russia, or… yes, even the US, you have quite a bit to learn.

Focus more on saving the lives of your Marines and leave information security to the professionals.

3. everyone says:

Well I know where I'm going when the zombies attack. And I'm taking 25 with me

4. Dave says:

Picture #6 is tent city where the Air Force personnel stay. I lived in those tents when they were first put up during Operation Desert Shield and later Operation Desert Storm. It was all B-52s then. P3s on the Navy side along with helicopters. The runway is also an alternate landing field for the Space Shuttle.

5. Cris says:

That island better be Iranian commando proof

6. Yoda says:

Don't worry guys. Last I heard, Chuck Norris was using the island as a summer house. No dramas.

7. billypadre says:

Hey!
    I was stationed at BIOT-DG in 1979 and I'm pretty sure we didn't have anything like pictures 11 & 25.
    Woulda been nice!
    As for those "sensitive" pix, doesn't Google Earth get better ones?