Which would you rather, Zie German MANTIS or the Phalanx? (20 Photos)

This is Germany's new gun called the MANTIS (Modular Autonomic and Network Targeting and Interception System). Rheinmetall of Germany bought the Swiss company Oerlikon while developing the MANTIS (it was called the "Skyshield" under Oerlikon). The MANTIS fires 35mm bullets. These are photos from Camp Kunduz, Afghanistan.
Or
The Phalanx CIWS (close-in weapon system) is an anti-ship missile defense gun. It's nick name is "R2-D2", for obvious reasons. It's newest form the Phalanz 1B CIWS has a rate of fire of 4,500 rounds per minute.
Source

theBRIGADE wants to show off your pictures from service
Submit your Photos here

Comments:

1. fasterthanu says:

I'd go with the mantis cos it looks like a modern howitzer/tank turret, awesome.

2. Carcaiacus says:

mantis for sure:D

3. mcctan24 says:

Number 18 for sure.

• Rick says:

don't ask me how the Tampa Bay cheerleaders got stuck in my head, I'm confident I have a problem

• Grey says:

If that is the result of your problem…I..uh…hmm…sorry, forgot where I was going with that.
        Either way, AWESOME! and keep 'em coming.

• Mongoose says:

Nothing wrong with being a man, Rick. Now take a few pulls from that bottle of Jack Daniel's next to your computer and consider yourself in good standing with the rest of us.

FUCK YEA, BRIGADE!

4. Scooby poo says:

CIWS (sea-wiz) also nicknamed the fart gun. sounds like a long extended fart when fired, and totally awesome to see it go to work. Go Coast Guard!

5. lomi says:

why is it theTHROTTLE: in the title bar? LOL

6. Coldzilla says:

Ill take the Phalanx for the win Alex!

7. Richard says:

I operate the Land Based Phalanx Weapon system in Baghdad and our 8 guns have been knocking mortars and rockets out of the sky for years now. Hell, just last night we nailed two of them.

• LT Rusty says:

I've seen videos of that. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how they can shoot down mortars but can't hit shit at sea. That's what seems to happen every time, though.

Only thing I can think of is that the high track that the mortars come in on makes it easier to track on radar. No clutter from the waves.

Also, what kind of ammo are you using? HEDP / VTRF / APDS / etc?

8. NELSON says:

THE PHALANX OR CIWS FOR SHORT. HAD EM ON BOARD MY SHIP, NEVER MISSED!!!

9. Phred says: