Chances are the CH-47 Chinook was there (23 HQ Photos)

Few aircraft have remained in service since the 1960 to the modern day battle field. However, the CH-47 was there then and is here now. The current Ch-47F is powered by two 4,733hp Honeywell engines. It's top speed is just shy of 200 mph with a max payload of over 21,000lbs. There are many other versions of the Chinook such as the MH-47's for special force transportation. Other countries that use a version of the Chinook include Australia, Canada, Japan and the UK.
theBRIGADE wants to show off your pictures from service
Submit your Photos here

theBRIGADE wants to show off your pictures from service
Submit your Photos here

Comments:

1. Santos El Halper says:

If I was at a Barbecue, and there was no meat, I'd be like "Hey Goober, where's the meat?

2. Nelson says:

#2, #4, #8, #12 are CH-46s not CH-47s. One easy way to tell 46s from 47s is that 47s have 4 landing gear and 46s have 3. They are different aircraft. The Navy and Marine Corps use 46s and the Army uses 47s.

• Grunt says:

They all look like they have 4 to me. And im pretty sure the big US ARMY logo on #12 kinda gives that one away.

• Vart says:

Yup every one is a 47. #2 left back landing gear is lost in soldier, no4 and 12 4th gear is obscured by perspective and in #8 you can clearly see 4 wheels.

A better way to tell the 46 and 47 apart is the 46 doesn't have large sponson running almost the full length of the fuselage. That and the engines on the 46 are smaller and mounted on top of the fuselage 47 are large and mounted of to the side.

• Matt says:

You're mistaking the MH-47 on the sea photos, I'm holding a HQ collection for a good future CH-46 post in the future. The 3 landing gears is a good way to see the diff, but the side fus. is the easiest way to see the Sea Knight as opposed to the CH-47

• Nelson says:

Heck did I misidentify all of those as 46s? And I didn't even notice the US Army on the side of one of them.
        Sorry for my post I obviously don't know what the heck I am talking about. I was in the USMC too but it was 30 yo and I plead stupidity.

• James says:

Yeah I am a 47 crew chief. I can tell you 100% those are 47's yeah 46's look smiler but they don't have those two big beautiful Honeywell engines on the side of the aft pylon.

3. Ben says:

Mmmmmm who is #19?

4. Adam Bieber says:

'merica

5. Brian says:

#19 MMMMMM Moar

6. Zoey says:

#13. Do these things float?/Can they land in water??

7. Nate says:

Give us more of #19 HOT!!!!

8. mith says:

Hotness….! #19

9. JDC says:

One of my roommates works on the flight control system for Chinook helicopters. He also dumped the stones from his aquarium in the garbage disposal because he thought that was the best way to get rid of them. I'd be terrified to fly in one of these.

10. Vitamin G says:

Was a good post until #19….then it got great.

fantastic.

11. baconfortress says:

That's a big sumbitch!

12. moeshere Foxdale says:

#1 now that is one bad ass work horse…it's mean just listening to it run…Bad ass…

13. Spenali says:

OK. Where is my care package?

14. Royce says:

I pooped bricks when i saw #6

15. john says:

my best friend's dad flew one of these in korea… i wish my dad was that cool.

16. northerner says:

#19, nice rotor blades…

17. NELSON says:

#19 #19 #19 #19 #19, MOOOOOOOAR PLEASE.

18. dmc says:

they can float for up to 30 min with engines shut down and all drin plugs installed, provided the max gross weight is 28, 550lbs or less. If the engines remain running, they can remain afloat longer depending in the sea state.

19. […] Boeing CH-47 Chinook Photo Gallery […]

20. Brian says:

#12 Was a TF Shadow (101st CAB) aircraft during the 2008 deployment to Bagram, Afghanistan. It's call sign was Mastadon 36. I know this and use the past tense for the aircraft because I was flying it when we were shot down in May 2008. Thankfully everyone survived but the aircraft was a total loss.

21. […] theBRIGADE: High Quality Photos of the CH-47 Chinook helicopter …Jan 12, 2011 … Few aircraft have remained in service since the 1960 to the modern day battle field. However, the CH-47 was there then and is here now. […]

22. James says:

Yeah they have been flying them for over 50 years they know what they are doing.