The Battle of the Bulge (79 Photos)

Comments:

1. De La Cruz says:

I loved this post, I never knew much about my Grandpa. Everyone would hear his stories, but I was only a few years old. But when I grew older he had a severe case of Alzheimer's disease. But what I do know he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and other important Battles, He was part of the 9th Armored Division. I thank you theBrigade for posting this up, this makes me feel like he was telling me one of his stories!

2. Blue says:

I would have gone with 3,6,28

3. mongoose5271 says:

I think #6 or #10 best show how damn cold it was for everyone involved. Just as an FYI, #30 is from Bougainville in the Pacific. Another solid post, Rick!

4. Brit18pdr says:

#1 — I think you started with the right one: it conveys the cold, the historical remembrance, and the sunset (I assume). It also conveys the presence of the past (i.e. the "here we are in this part of France *again* after the First World War!" and that the present world is as it is in part because of the past sacrifices for victory). Thanks for this post.

5. jojo says:

best photo #8

6. Dr. J. Mattei says:

Thank you for ths post. My Uncle Ernie who lived with our family after coming home from the war. He drove a Sherman tank from the invasion through the Battle of the Bulge into Berlin. All I could ever get out of him was the bitter cold that was numbing. The black and white photos made me think of him and realize the hardships he endured just to stay alive, let alone fight a determined enemy. He always was my 'HERO' and I let him know that in a letter I sent him several years before he died. He was a talented artist who never pursued it, but his training taught me enough to become proficient in sketching. That enhansed my engineering career and almost every time I could open eyes with a sketch, I thought of my Uncle Earnie. Thanks Again.

Dr. J. Mattei

7. WannabeNAVYbutMechE says:

I'd have gone with #9

8. news blogspot says:

I need to explain my personal thankfulness on your kind-heartedness offering help to individuals that really need assistance with the style. Your devotion to finding the material all around had become exceedingly helpful and still have constantly assisted staff like me to reach their particular aims. Your useful suggestions implies much in my experience as well as additional to be able to my personal acquaintances. Thank you; via all us.

9. pcb_duffer says:

#6 says it all. Unrelenting cold & unrelenting enemy vs. an army that simply refused to yield.

And a special tip of the hat to my younger sister’s father in law, taken prisoner during that battle.

10. stonewall_79 says:

A hard battle with the best men of both countries.

11. Monte says:

My dad was there he told me some stories like the time he heard a sound up in the sky during the battle of the bulge but he could see what it was untill one day a few years after he got home he heard the sound again and looked up and seen his first Jet. Never could get my dad to go to the snow he said he had never been so cold in all his life and he promised himself that if he ever got home he would never get in the snow again if he could help it.

12. Harold Bradley says:

Thank you for putting these fabulous photos up for America to see at last. I must forward these to an old soldier who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. His name is Harold Bradley and he is now into his eightieth years.

13. elder says: